Netanyahu urges U.S. envoy: Apply snapback sanctions on Iran before it’s ‘too late’ – Israel News

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu urged the Trump administration to ramp up its campaign of maximum pressure on Iran by implementing “snapback sanctions,” ahead of a meeting with the U.S. Special Representative for Iran Brian Hook in Jerusalem on Tuesday.

In his statement to the press, Netanyahu stated that Iran deliberately deceives the international community, and continues its covert nuclear weapons program, and producing the means to deliver those weapons.

The prime minister told Hook that he believes the time to impose snapback sanctions is now. “We should not wait for Iran to start its breakout to a nuclear weapon, because when that happens it will be too late for sanctions.”

In recent months, the United States imposed additional sanctions on Iran, following accusations that the regime was using its shipping network to support proliferation of weapons of mass destruction.

Netanyahu also heaped praise on the U.S. administration for taking “important and courageous decisions to take out [commander of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards’ Quds Force, Qassem] Soleimani.”

Open gallery view

U.S. Special Representative for Iran Brian Hook and Prime Minister Netanyahu use hand sanitizer during a meeting in Jerusalem, June 30, 2020.Credit: Matty Stern

Speaking after Netanyahu, Hook said that Israel and the United States “see eye-to-eye on the dangers of letting the arms embargo expire on Iran,” adding that because of “the failed Iran nuclear deal,” in a few months Iran will be able to freely import, and subsequently export, “weapons and their technologies” to their proxies “such as Hezbollah, Palestine Islamic Jihad [sic], Hamas,” and others across the Middle East and beyond.

“The last thing this region needs is more Iranian weapons,” Hook said. “No country sponsors more terrorism and antisemitism in the world than the Islamic Republic of Iran.”

Earlier Tuesday, the New York Times reported that Israeli and U.S. officials denied any involvement in a blast at a missile production facility near Tehran last week. 

The report said Mossad and military intelligence are investigating the incident but have not yet reached a final conclusion. The IDF and office of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu declined to comment, as neither usually respond to foreign reports.

U.S. officials also doubted it was an act of sabotage, as the United States and Israel often coordinate on such missions, as they did with the cyberattack on Iran’s nuclear centrifuge facility in 2010. 

Reuters contributed to this report.

.